Friday, November 21, 2008

"I Hate My Husband Pie" And Other Wisdom from "Waitress"

Last night I settled in for the evening with the Sundance-flick "Waitress" starring former Mouseketeer Keri Russell and was pleasantly surprised at how great she was as a down-on-her-luck pregnant chick, married to a loser with no end in sight. Russell's character, Jenna, has been squirling away money so that she can leave her husband and finally enter the big pie contest, which judging from her reputation in the small town, she would most likely win. But fate hands her a twist when she turns up pregnant and accidentally falls in love with her gynochologist (the adorably hopeless Dr. Pamatter, played by Nathan Fillion). The movie follows Jenna as she tries to navigate through her unwanted pregnancy and unconventional affair as she create pies in her head that fit her mood. Pies like "Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie" are common in her fantasies and they include "lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in." She thinks about pie the way a killer might contemplate a murder... obsessive and deadly, but thoughtful and meticulous. And of course the whole damn movie made me hungry for pie. I couldn't help rooting for Keri Russell's character and wondering how her big pie of life would turn out. Of course, I would eat mine a la mode.

7 comments:

Cynthia Fuentes said...

I have to say that Weight Watchers would be really upset at the plot of this movie. Shame on you and all the emotional eaters in the world.
- Cynjavascript:void(0)

Jessica Schmidt LaFave said...

She's not eating through her feelings, she's baking through them. I think WW would count the rigorous pie-making as excersize... that's got to be worth a few points, right?

The Absent Minded Professor said...

She thinks about pie the way a killer might contemplate a murder...

As you know, I was less than upset that you watched this movie without me, what with my irrational vitriol towards all things disney, including mouseketeer alumni...however, if she baked pies that actually killed people, but people who kind of had it coming, it think i would give it a shot. i would also swap out keri russel for charles bronson and call it something ridiculously over the top like "vigilante baker." yes, i know charles bronson is dead, but i think he'd want to come back to life to make pies that killed people.

Jessica Schmidt LaFave said...

As always, your logic is astounding.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie! I loved each new pie she made and the way it reflected where she was with her life. Wish I knew how to make pie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess -

I love your phrase "equal opportunity eater" and as foodie / chow hound, I feel the same.

Keep blogging!

Brandon

Wholsome said...

Reach out to this genius software programmer at 'hackingloop6@gmail .com, also text or WhatsApp +1(484)540 - 0785, If you need a professional, untraceable and affordable ethical hacker majorly for hacking into email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail or any domain), blogs, database hack, keylogging, professional hacking into Institutional servers, firewall breaches, change of University grades, Credit score upgrade, Admin (staff) account hack -Access/Password (Facebook, Instagram, BBM, Skype, Snapchat, Twitter, WordPress, iCloud accounts etc.), Tap into your spouse’s phone to monitor calls and text message interception;reach out to him if you actually require the services of a good ethical hacker,you will definitely attest to how good and efficient he is.I hope this helps someone.